Moments from The Verve profile of The Awl, ranked.
Why are the most important people in media reading The Awl?
In February, at the Code/Media* conference in Dana Point, California, some of the most powerful people in media found…
- When Choire threw the rock into the ocean.
- When Herrman got all serious and pretty much looked through the camera and told us: “I think things are probably much, much worse industry-wise than people acknowledge. It is, to the web, what the web was to what came before it.”
- When Frucci called Buchanan and Hermann “one big ginger man in a trench coat that people mistake for two people.”
- When Buchanan ordered a ginger ale. Get it? A GINGER ale.
- When Choire took his shoes off, put his feet up on the desk, and reviewed the freelance budget, with an actual awl in his hand.
- When the apartment began to collapse, and the ceiling fell into the bathtub. Talk about metaphors.
- When Choire changed the password on their Chartbeat account to password.
- When the camera lingered on the shot of New York waking up, and everything’s covered in sand, and most people are dead, but a few survived somehow, and are walking around in circles. The fx on that shot was amazing. Reminded me of Will Smith in I Am Legend.
- And then…and then! Bookending that ocean rock throwing thing at the beginning, when Choire put on the ring and lept around the woods shouting NO ONE CAN HARM ME!!!